Fifteen watches have won the coveted international Red Dot design prize in 2018, with two additional watches winning Honorable Mention awards, which the jury grants for well-executed details. Two of the 15 top watches were honored with the prestigious Red Dot: Best of the Best award: the Bulgari Octo Finissimo Automatic and the TAG Heuer Connected Modular 45 Luxury Kit.
A product receives the Red Dot when at least two of the three judges vote in favor of the product. A particularly superior design may be awarded the Red Dot: Best of the Best when all three jurors vote in favor of the distinction. In 2018, the three-person jury included Chronos Editorial Director Rüdiger Bucher (below, right), watch expert and author Gisbert L. Brunner (below, center) — both WatchTime contributors — and British design strategist Michael Thomson.
Watch entries in 2018 were of higher quality than in the previous year, as the award winners show. These include many famous German and Swiss brands. Acustica, created by the Swiss Central Union for the Blind, received one of the top awards: at the touch of a button, this watch activates a programmed voice that announces the day, date, and time.
Companies and individual designers from 59 countries submitted over 6m,300 products for the Red Dot Award Product Design 2018, more than ever before. The prize winners will be honored on July 9, 2018, in the Aalto Theater in Essen, Germany.
These are the award winners:
Red Dot: Best of the Best
- Bulgari Octo Finissimo Automatic
- TAG Heuer Connected Modular 45 Luxury Kit
- Acustica, watch for the blind from the Swiss Central Union for the Blind
- HYT H0 Black
- Junghans max bill Automatic
- Maurice Lacroix Masterpiece Gravity
- Meistersinger Salthora Meta X
- Moritz Grossmann Atum Email
- Moritz Grossmann Benu Tourbillon
- Nomos Autobahn neomatic 41 Datum
- Qlocktwo W39
- Rado True Phospho
- Rolf Cremer Twist
- Zenith Defy Lab
- Jianmin Zhang Integrated Watch
- Kerbholz Slim Midnight Maple