Until now, the adjectives “round” and “thin” were not often found in close proximity to the name Richard Mille. The RM 033, launched at SIHH last week, changes that. Ultra-thin is clearly in, and Mille is not missing the boat. His caliber RMXP1 is a mere 2.6mm thick, and at 6.3mm deep, the RM 033 case is a wisp. Look inside for pricing, wallpaper, and more.
The RMXP1 caliber is designed to be svelte from the ground up. To save precious millimeters, the automatic-winding micro rotor is off-center. To improve weight distribution and function, the rotor is solid platinum and winds bi-directionally.
The caliber RMXP1, with 29 jewels and beating at 3Hz, has a free sprung balance with variable inertia. This type of balance provides increased reliability when subjected to shock and better chronometric results over time. The regulator index is eliminated and a more accurate and repeatable adjustment is possible thanks to 4 small adjustable weights located directly on the balance.
The RMXP1 caliber bottom plate, bridges and balance cock are made of titanium. The use of grade 5 titanium with Titaly treatment for the bottom plate and black PVD coating for the bridges provides both rigidity and precise surface flatness which are essential for perfect gear train function and the stability of the movement. The baseplate and all titanium parts have been subjected to separate tests to insure optimal strength.
The RM 033 case is 45.7mm in diameter, so though it is thin, it will not go unnoticed. The caseback sports the trademark Richard Mille curve. The tripartite case system with integrated lugs is water resistant to 30 meters, ensured by two Nitril O-ring seals. The case is assembled with 16 spline screws in grade 5 titanium and abrasion resistant washers in 316L stainless steel.
The RM 033 is priced at $70,000 in titanium, $85,000 in red gold, and $90,000 in white gold.
Additional technical information appears below the images, which may be enlarged with a click.
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS OF THE RICHARD MILLE CALIBER EXTRA FLAT AUTOMATIC RM 033
Round case – available in titanium, 18k white gold or red gold.
CALIBER RMXP1: skeletonized automatic winding movement with hours, minutes and off-center monoblock platinum rotor.
Case size: 45.70 mm x 6.30 mm.
– Power Reserve: circa 42 hours
– Diameter of the movement: 33.00 mm
– Thickness: 2.60 mm
– Number of jewels: 29
– Barrel arbor – in 20AP steel
– Balance: Glucydur, 4 arms, inertia moment 5.75 mg.cm2, angle of lift 53º
– Frequency: 21,600 vph (3Hz)
– Balance spring: Nivaflex
– Shock protection: Incabloc 908.22.211.100 (transparent)
In carbon fiber, with hour index points filled with approved luminous material. Minute flange in black carbon fiber.
In sapphire (thickness: 0.30 mm) with anti-glare treatment (2 sides).
– Bezel side: in sapphire (1800 Vickers) with anti-glare treatment (2 sides).
– Thickness: 1.00 mm
– Case back: in sapphire with anti-glare treatment (2 sides)
– Thickness: at the center 1.00 mm and at outer edges 1.53 mm
– Bottom plate in hand-ground grade 5 titanium, wet sandblasted, Titalyt® treated
– Bridges wet sandblasted, top surface polished by hand, grade 5 titanium PVD treated
– Locking sections hand polished
– Burnished pivots
– Diamond polished sinks on the bridge side
– Pinions with undercuts
– Sandblasted and rhodium-plating, beveled wheels (before cutting the teeth)
– Concave chamfering with a diamond tool
– Circular-smoothed faces
– Polished angles
– Rhodium-plating (before cutting the teeth)
– Minimum manual correction to the wheels undertaken in order to preserve geometry and performance
– microblasted and hand-drawn surfaces
– sapphire blasted surfaces
– anglage and polishing by hand
– lapped and polished ends
– burnished pivots