The July-August 2016 issue of WatchTime is on newsstands now, featuring our comprehensive report on this year’s Baselworld watch fair, including 75 new watches, a test of the newest Rolex Yacht-Master, and more. Scroll down for highlights from the issue.
• Our massive Baselworld 2016 package showcases 75 new timepieces introduced at the world’s biggest watch fair, as well as the watch-industry analysis feature “Dealing With the Downturn,” in which Editor-at-Large Joe Thompson examines how watch executives are handling the global slump in luxury goods sales. Sidebars include an interview with Bulgari CEO Jean-Christophe Babin on the process of creating the world’s thinnest minute repeater; a report on Seiko’s new, all-mechanical Presage collection; and a roundup of new smartwatches.
• In “Swanky Sailor,” Martina Richter takes a close look at the newest version of Rolex’s Oyster Perpetual Yacht-Master, with black cerachrom bezel and Oysterflex bracelet. Original photos are provided by Nik Schölzel.
• New WatchTime Editor-in-Chief Roger Ruegger presents the highlights of Vacheron Constantin’s revamped Overseas collection in “Fleet Management,” which also explores the evolution of the series from its launch in 1977 to the current models launched at SIHH 2016.
• Richter studies the stylings of another new watch, the Cartier Rotonde de Cartier Chronograph, and tests its in-house movement, in the review feature “Well Rounded,” with original photos by OK-Photography.
• In 2008, Laurent Ferrier was about to retire after a 37-year career in the watch industry. But one last task beckoned: creating his own haute-de-gamme brand. For the profile “Ferrier’s Fine Finish,” Norma Buchanan sat down with Ferrier for an exclusive interview about the origins and future of his eponymous brand.
• Plus: a test of the blue-dialed Sinn T1 B divers’ watch; a photo feature on the Hublot Big Bang Ferrari Unico Titanium Carbon and the car that inspired it, the Ferrari 488 GTB; news from around the watch industry, a calendar watch quiz; and more.