The September-October 2016 issue of WatchTime is on newsstands now, featuring our test of the IWC Big Pilot Top Gun Miramar, a complete historical overview of TAG Heuer’s most important chronograph watches, an in-depth profile of Kari Voutilainen, and more. Scroll down for highlights from the issue.
• For the cover feature, “From Surface to Air,” Martina Richter tests IWC’s new Pilot’s Watch Chronograph Top Gun Miramar, a timepiece suited for both airborne and terrestrial adventures. Original photos are by OK-Photography.
• Watch historian Gisbert Brunner reminds us that no brand is better known for chronographs than TAG Heuer. The first ones appeared in the company’s catalog in 1882 and were followed by a parade of technically innovative chronographs that continue to this day. In “TAG Heuer’s Top Chronographs,” Brunner highlights more than 25 milestone pieces from the brand’s rich history.
• Continuing the issue’s chronograph theme, in “Triple Play,” Jens Koch conducts a comparative test of three timepieces from three brands well-known for their chronograph expertise — the Breitling Chronomat Blacksteel, TAG Heuer Carrera Heuer 01, and Zenith El Primero Sport — to find which of these contenders earns the top score. With original photography by Nik Schölzel.
• Watchmaker Kari Voutilainen has become a celebrity to an elite group of collectors in search of one-of-a-kind and very-small-series timepieces. Norma Buchanan sat down with Voutilainen for a candid profile of the man and his watches in “Kari On.”
• In the historical feature “Saving Citizen Breguet,” Joe Thompson reveals how world history and watch history intersected in Paris in 1793, when a giant of the French Revolution, Jean-Paul Marat, saved the life of a giant of horology, Abraham-Louis Breguet.
• Plus: more watches tested and reviewed, including the Montblanc Heritage Chronométrie Quantième Annuel, Tissot PRS 516 Automatic, Panerai Radiomir 1940 3 Days Automatic Titanio, Slim d’Hermes Perpetual Calendar, and Carl F. Bucherer Patravi TravelTec II; a showcase of chronograph watches with regatta countdown functions; a technical exploration of the Audemars Piguet Supersonnerie; and more.
how do I have a print issues sent to me?