On July 17th, 2013, the Swiss watch brand Carl F. Bucherer celebrates its parent company’s 125 years in the watch business. Though the brand as we know it today wasn’t established until 2001, it traces its history back to July 17th, 1888, the day that its namesake, Carl Friedrich Bucherer, opened his jewelry and watch shop in Lucerne, Switzerland. His two sons followed him in his profession: one as a watchmaker, the other as a goldsmith. Since its inception, the brand has been owned by the Bucherer family.
In 1919, the first watches bearing the “Bucherer” name — a collection of Art Deco-inspired timepieces — went on sale in the Bucherer store, and proved to be popular among women of the era. As time went on, other Bucherer watches made technological strides, such as the Archimedes, released in the 1970s, a divers’ watch that also included a world-time function. The first ever Swiss-made quartz watch, debuting in 1970, bore the Bucherer name, and contained the Bucherer-developed Beta 21 quartz movement.
In celebration of this milestone year, Carl F. Bucherer is launching four special models: the Manero Power Reserve, limited editions of the Manero MoonPhase and Patravi TravelTec FourX, and a new ladies’ model, the Alacria RoyalRose, as well as its first tourbillon watch.