The November-December 2016 issue of WatchTime is on newsstands now, featuring a review of the Omega Globemaster Master Chronometer, a look at Panerai’s groundbreaking minute repeater, a profile of F.P. Journe, a deluge of divers’ watch reviews, and more. Scroll down for highlights from the issue.
• In the cover story, “Mega Stress Test,” Martina Richter finds out if Omega’s Constellation Globemaster Co-Axial Master Chronometer — a watch designed to resists magnetic fields up to 15,000 gauss — can withstand the 70,000 gauss of a state-of-the-art MRI scanner.
• A. Lange & Söhne’s Grand Lange 1 Moon Phase Lumen offers views of its movement through its semitransparent dial — but the real show, as our watch tester, Jens Koch, discovered, starts at night. Koch tests the watch in “Night Time,” which also features stunning original photos by Nik Schölzel.
• We take the plunge with a plethora of dive watches in two comparative tests and one in-depth review. Richter takes two groups of dive watches underwater to see how they perform under the rigors of emergency response team training: Doxa, Seiko, and TAG Heuer face off in “3 Take the Plunge;” while Breitling, Mido, Oris, and Sinn battle it out in “Rescue Ready.” Roger Ruegger goes hands-on with yet another diver, the German-made UTS 1000M V2, in “Bavarian Blue.”
• Norma Buchanan profiles two accomplished figures in the watch world. In “A Quarter Century and Counting,” Buchanan strolls down memory lane with Francois-Paul Journe on the 25th anniversary of the F.P. Journe brand, and in “Man of Auction,” she speaks to Christie’s international watch department head John Reardon about his rise to what is arguably the biggest job in the vintage-watch business.
• Panerai unveiled its most complicated watch this spring, a minute repeater capable of chiming both home and local time. In “The Sound of Innovation,” WatchTime Middle East Editor Nitin Nair interviews Panerai CEO Angelo Bonati about this watch and Panerai’s other sorties into the world of haute horlogerie.
• Plus: an array of new ladies’ watches for holiday gift-giving; a portfolio of extreme sports watches built for adventure; an exploration into how Patek Philippe makes its artisanal dials; a profile of Britain’s growing Christopher Ward brand; and more.
We did an event with Omega for our Boutique launch in India. Have you checked its chronometer function?