The May-June issue of WatchTime is on newsstands now (and also in the WatchTime online shop), featuring our test of the Omega Seamaster 300, our in-depth coverage of the new watches that debuted at SIHH 2015, a rundown of smartwatches from Baselworld, and more. Scroll down for highlights from the issue…
• In the cover feature, “Disarmed Forces,” Jens Koch tests the retro-styled Omega Seamaster 300, equipped to fend off powerful magnetic fields. How well does the watch and its innovative Master Co-Axial automatic movement hold up ? Nik Schölzel provides original photos. (You may also download this article from the WatchTime online store.)
• Our massive feature on the 2015 Salon International de la Haute Horlogerie (SIHH), held this past January in Geneva, features 67 new watches from an array of luxury brands including Cartier, Panerai, IWC, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger-LeCoultre, Vacheron Constanttin, and many more. This feature is also available as a direct download from the WatchTime store.)
• Koch also puts the new Oris Big Crown ProPilot Altimeter through its paces in “High Flyer,” wearing it on a flight above the Alps. Schölzel and “Watch Insider” Alexander Linz contributed original photos to the article, which is also available as a download from the WatchTime online store.)
• For those seeking out an affordable mechanical timepiece, Martina Richter takes a look at the Swatch Sistem51, with its groundbreaking, Swiss-made 51-piece movement and amazing $150 price tag. The article, “Populist Mechanics,” is also available in WatchTime’s online store)
• In “The Wearables Arrive,” the headliner feature of this issue’s WatchTalk section, Norma Buchanan provides a comprehensive guide to the new wave of smartwatches and other “smart” technologies that has recently swept the watch world, including new debuts at Baselworld 2015.
• Two mechanical movements — one from Switzerland, the other from China — face off in “East Meets West,” a comparison of the tried-and-true ETA 2892-A2 and the upstart Chinese Sea-Gull ST 18, by Thomas Gronenthal. Photos by Zuckerfabrik Fotodesign.
• Plus: our latest “Back is Beautiful” photo gallery of watches as beautiful from the back as the front (all available here as free wallpaper images); a test of the Mido Commander Chronometer; a collection of wit and wisdom by the eminently quotable CEO of Richemont, Johann Rupert; and more.
To subscribe to WatchTime magazine, click here.