Swedish watch brand Gustafsson & Sjögren (GoS) is a partnership between bladesmith Johan Gustafsson and watchmaker Patrik Sjögren. Together they combine hand-forged Damascus steel and a variety of movements to create unique timepieces in limited numbers. Their newest watch is the Stockholm.
Production of the Stockholm is limited to five watches: four pieces with a mother of pearl dial and a single piece with a dial in blue Lapis Lazuli. The dials compliment the rich details of the hand-forged Damascus steel. For these pieces, Johan Gustafsson has achieved a very fine-grained steel with patterns made visible through careful hand-finishing techniques. This series has been produced in cooperation with Fredmans Ur, the GoS retailer in Stockholm.
The movement in the Stockholm model is the handwound Alpina 592R from the 1950s. These New Old Stock (NOS) movements have been thoroughly serviced and adjusted before the assembly in the GoS workshop. The movements embody 1950’s characteristics and quality, and the original finish has been preserved. The deep beveling and the bridge shapes compliment the designs and shapes of the Damascus steel parts.
The Stockholm is the first model to be delivered in the new GoS presentation box. The boxes are individually crafted by Sture Nyberg, a local woodcraft artisan who is well known for his work, which he regularly exhibits. The box is crafted in an ancient technique – called “svep” in Swedish – that is so specific to the Baltic region that it does not have an English name. The material is thin birch wood that is moisturized and bent over a round template. Birch root is then used to lock the shape with a seam.
At this time, only approximate pricing is available: 96.000SEK for the four MOP versions and 106.000SEK for the single blue Lapis version. This includes Swedish VAT of 25%. For approximate U.S. prices are $12,000 (MOP) and $13,200 (Lapis), without Swedish VAT.
Inquiries can be sent to Fredmans at email@example.com or contact Gustafsson & Sjögren through their Web site at www.goswatches.com.
● Case: 42mmx10mm
● Lug width: 22mm
● Glass: Flat sapphire glass
● Movement: Swiss manual movement Alpina 592R
● Dial: Mother of pearl for 4pcs 1/4-4/4, One piece 1/1 has a dial in blue Lapis Lazuli with small gold pyrites
● Hands: Spear shape in hand forged Damascus steel
● Index ring, rehaut: Fileworked and polished in hand forged Damascus steel
● Crown: 8mm in finegrained Damascus stainless steel
● Case finishing: All highgloss polished with Gustafsson & Sjögren logo on case side.
● Strap: Handcrafted in Louisiana Alligator.
● Presentation box: Individually crafted box in svepask technique.