On October 14, 1947, the Bell X1 undertook the first manned supersonic flight, breaking the sound barrier and entering the history books. The new Oris Big Crown X1 timepiece is an homage to this aviation milestone.
The Bell X1 pilots undertook their amazing feat in an age before computers and pocket calculators, relying on the specially designed “slide rule” for all calculations. In honor of these pilots, the Big Crown X1 Calculator incorporates a circular version of the slide rule into its design. The watch case also has a gun-metal-colored PVD coating to mirror the color of the Bell X-1 plane.
Although created as a tribute to the history of aviation, the 46mm Oris Big Crown X1 Calculator will work equally well for modern pilots, even with today’s computerized aviation systems.
The Swiss Retail Price is SFr.3,350
Oris Big Crown X1 Calculator
Ref: 675 7648 4264 LB
• Automatic mechanical movement with chronograph function. Centralized stop second, subsidiary second, minute and hour displays. Date display at 4:30.
• 3-piece stainless steel case, PVD plated in gun metal color
• Outside and inside domed sapphire crystal with anti-reflective coating on both sides
• Screwed case back with mineral crystal and meter/feet scale
• Revolving outer top ring and inner dial ring with slide rule
• Screw-down stainless steel crown and pushers, PVD plated in gun metal color
• 3 bar water resistant
• Figures and indices printed with luminous Superluminova
• Dark brown calf skin leather strap with contrast stitching, PVD plated stainless steel buckle
• Flight box with slide ruler scale on the outside. The set includes a certificate and history of the watch. Also includes a DVD of The Right Stuff directed by Philip Kaufman about the breaking of the sound barrier. •